Board Game Yarns provide freelance editing and proofreading services for the tabletop industry.
We refine the text of your rulebooks, game components, websites, Kickstarter campaigns, email newsletters and more.
We also specialise in helping game creators with English as a second language. We help them improve their text after it has been translated into English.
If you are interested, feel free to email us at email@example.com
We help you channel your creative energy into your vision
Here at Board Game Yarns, we help tabletop game creators refine and elevate the text for their rulebooks, game components (e.g. cards and boards), websites, Kickstarter campaigns, email newsletters, social media posts and more. We aim to make it clear, concise, error-free, and possibly even entertaining!
Large game publishers often have dedicated in-house writers, editors and proofreaders. For independent game creators, startups and Kickstarters, these tasks can often fall to people who would rather spend their time on something else. We can help you with that.
We’re here to save you from having to re-read your own rulebook until you can’t face it anymore. We’re here to double-check your Kickstarter and email updates so you don’t have to. We’re here to take editing and proofreading tasks off your plate, so that you’re free to channel your creative energy into your vision!
Benefits of our editing and proofreading services
Editing and proofreading might not be the most glamorous or exciting tasks when creating your brand new board game, but doing it well can make a huge difference. Here are some of the benefits you can expect from our editing and proofreading services:
- Save money by getting it right first time and avoiding the cost of repeated print runs/second editions.
- Save time by having us edit/proofread for you. This frees you up to work on other tasks.
- Get more backers on Kickstarter by making your campaigns and updates stand out.
- Maximise the impact of your website by eliminating errors and clearly delivering information.
- Get players into your game faster by making sure your rulebook is accurate and easily readable.
We can help edit and/or proofread a variety of different materials, including:
- Game components (e.g. cards and boards)
- Website content and Blog posts
- Kickstarter campaigns and updates
- Email newsletters
- Social media content
If you have anything else you would like editing or proofreading, feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Editing helps refine and improve the meaning of your text, adding readability and direction. Good editing makes sure your text connects well with your audience.
We will examine your text and improve the overall quality of writing.
This service includes:
- Refining the text and ensuring readability
- Providing alternative wording and phraseology
- Ensuring consistency of terminology (e.g. game rounds/turns)
- Removing unnecessary or accidental repetition of words, phrases and rules/concepts
- Ensuring the tone matches the audience
- Making the text more entertaining
An example of good editing
If you look closely at this article, you’ll notice that we consistently use the term ‘rulebook’. We could have interchanged this word with ‘manual’, ‘guide’ or perhaps ‘rules reference’, but keeping it consistent ensures less confusion for the reader. When writing game rules, if you use several different words for the same thing, this can confuse players and dilute your message.
Proofreading is the final step in perfecting your text prior to publishing. The meaning of your text should already be well established by this point, with proofreading serving as a final check for errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation.
We will examine your text and check for errors and ensure accuracy. Essentially, we’ll take on the role of a school teacher, marking all the errors with a red pen! (We won’t just mark them, we’ll correct them for you too.)
This service includes:
- Identification and correction of typing and spelling errors
- Resolving misuse of punctuation
- Ensuring the correct use of words (e.g. their/there and a/the)
- Removing unnecessary white space
This is just an outline of our editing and proofreading services; we can adapt our services to suit your needs.
If you have any requirements beyond those listed above, feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com
English as a second language
We love playing tabletop games from all over the world and some of our favourites are from overseas. We understand that as a creator of these games, you may not have English as your native language. We also understand that all languages work differently. What works well in one language, might not work well in another. We’re not here to translate for you (that’s another skill altogether!), but we can help you take your translated English text to the next level.
We often see games that have been translated into English and the basic meaning is conveyed, but the text can be difficult to read. This can create a barrier to players trying to learn your rules. We can help you remove this barrier and get people playing your game faster!
We are native English-speakers familiar with English slang and colloquialisms (words and phrases used in casual conversation) as well as regional sayings. We can also write English in a playful and entertaining way. (You can read our blog posts to get a feel for our usual style.)
After you have had your rulebook translated into English, we can:
- Make it easier to read
- Improve the flow of your writing
- Suggest alternative wording
If you think we can help, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org